Monday, February 25, 2008

McDonald's McCafé vs. Starbucks


As you may know, McDonald's is taking on Starbucks in the fancy coffee game. I haven't seen this in Lincoln yet, but the McCafé coffee project is all over Kansas City. I was coming from KC this morning, and as luck would have it, for a limited time McDonald's is doling out free McCafé every Monday for awhile. So, I was able to try two different drinks for free. First, I had a mocha. It was prepared much as Starbucks baristas prepare them. They gave me the choice of regular or nonfat milk. I went nonfat. It was topped with whipped cream. It was a good mocha. It was a little sweeter than Starbucks, but totally acceptable. The next drink I had was the cappuccino. I got this with nonfat milk too. It bothered the lady that I didn't want any sweet element in it. She offered caramel and vanilla, but I just went plain. It was a pretty good drink. The only disappointing part about the drinks were the menu prices. I was hoping that McDonald's would come in a lot cheaper than Starbucks. Sadly, they were only a little bit cheaper. The 12 ounce mocha costs $2.29, medium was $2.79, and large was $3.29. To be sure, that's cheaper than Starbucks, but not by much. Given a choice, the Starbucks atmosphere would draw me in favor of McDonald's. However, if I was just driving through, getting a mocha from Mc's will be a good option







No comments:

Visitor Location Details

Blog Archive

Blog Fans!

Tangeman Family Blog Labels