Saturday, December 26, 2009

Xmas Gets Bad Rap

"Xmas" Versus "Christmas" - By Grammar Girl

Many listeners have written in to ask about the origin and appropriateness of "Xmas."



Retailers have long been accused of secularizing Christmas by using "Xmas" in signs and advertisements; therefore, I suspect many of you will be surprised to learn that "Xmas" has a religious origin.

In Greek, the letter "chi" is written as an X, and chi is the first letter of the Greek word for "Christ." Greeks sometimes abbreviated "Christ" as "X." For example, they abbreviated "Christ savior" as "XP." ("P" is the symbol for the Greek letter "rho," which is the first letter of the word "savior" in Greek.) The Oxford English Dictionary shows the first known English use of "Xmas" in 1551.



As for appropriateness, "Xmas" may have a religious origin and fit better on signs, but many people--both those who use "Xmas" and those who complain about its use--are unaware of the religious origin. If you choose to use "Xmas," you should know that some people will be infuriated.

Thanks to Erin and Grammar Girl for this information!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another Bad xmas rap? Santa Clause Goes Straight To The Ghetto by Snoop Dogg

Anonymous said...

Hello i am new on here. I hit upon this chat board I find It truly accessible and its helped me out so much. I should be able to contribute and help other people like it has helped me.

Cheers all, Catch You Around.

Anonymous said...

What's Happening i am fresh to this, I stumbled upon this forum I have found It extremely useful and it has helped me out a great deal. I hope to contribute and help others like its helped me.

Cheers, See You Later

Anonymous said...

Good Day i'm new to this, I came accross this website I find It very helpful & it has helped me out a great deal. I hope to give something back & assist others like it has helped me.

Thanks a load, See Ya Later.

Anonymous said...

Good Day i am new here, I came upon this message board I find It incredibly helpful & it has helped me out tons. I hope to contribute & support other users like its helped me.

Thank You, See Ya Later.

Anonymous said...

Hello i am new here. I stumbled upon this message board I find It amply helpful and its helped me out alot. I hope to give something back and support other users like it has helped me.

Cheers all, See You Later.

Visitor Location Details

Blog Archive

Blog Fans!

Tangeman Family Blog Labels