Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Day The Music Died II - An Ode to MJ

Michael Jackson has passed at the age of 50 and 50 years after it died the first time.

My first album ever was Michael Jackson's Thriller. It was especially cool because my brother gave it to me on Christmas morning in 1983 when he received two copies (tapes) and Mom and Dad convinced him he should give one of them to me.

That was the beginning of music for me - if you don't count the Kenny Rogers and Waylon Jennings in the old Ford pick-up truck. The journey continues.

Billie Jean and Beat It changed the musical landscape back in '83. Combined they were #1 for 10 weeks that Spring. Nestled between them was the still overplayed Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners that pales in comparison.

I recently repurchased the Bad album because my previous CD had somehow spotted and would no longer play. It is way too good of an album to not own so I needed to order a new copy.

In recent decades he was perhaps somewhat strange - but I think he'll always be considered the King of Pop - a title well-deserved in my opinion.


No comments:

Visitor Location Details

Blog Archive

Blog Fans!

Tangeman Family Blog Labels