Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ode to the Record Store - Year Two

They aren't all gone yet! Last year was a good celebration with me picking up some good music...

Dimple Records is still alive here in Sacramento and hopefully doing ok. Who knows for sure though with the way businesses are vacating strip malls with no warning at all. I discovered our only Baja Fresh was closed when I walked over for lunch the other day :( But that's a different blog post...

This year I scored some more good music at Record Store day.

the eels second album which is a darker album... includes the awesome track Last Stop: This Town



I'm careful about buying Prince music that came after Around the World in a Day. This three disc set receives good reviews generally so I snapped it up for $6. Steph and I enjoyed it last night while sitting outside...some good stuff.


Most folks think Cyndi Lauper was a one album wonder and generally turn up their noses at her other work. Fact is there's a lot more to her music than just Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Time after Time.
An album I remember listening to a lot in college...I told Steph it really hadn't aged all that well... then I read that on the iTunes review as well! Regardless, there are some good tunes in here.



INXS debut album without Michael Hutchence. I added to my get list after hearing the first singles from it a year or two ago...Afterglow is very good IMO. There is other good stuff too.

Here's the deal with record stores though...I got all of the above used for $30. Looking at Amazon they can all be had for an average price of .30 cents with shipping for $3 each. The eels being the only exception where the cheapest was $2.50. So you could buy these 5 albums for about $20 on Amazon.... but you never would... record stores provide the fun of browsing and it is a random pool of stuff where things just pop out at you. An experience Amazon is unable to provide...

Here's to record stores surviving at least one more year :)

No comments:

Visitor Location Details

Blog Archive

Blog Fans!

Tangeman Family Blog Labels