Tuesday, November 01, 2011

The Making of the Horse Arms

A few months back, I saw a nifty horse head mask on the web for about 25 bucks and decided to buy it. Here it is.





The mask by itself was great, but for Halloween I wanted to add something else to the disguise. Namely, horse arms with hooves. After thinking about it for awhile, I came up with a plan.

For the structure of the arms, I found a big tree branch on the ground while walking Yuki. Here it is in the garage after I carried it home.





For the hooves, I used two Ben & Jerry's containers which I painted black.
I also bought a cheap brown fleece blanket, some craft glue, and some fuzzy brown yarn.



I sawed off stick arms from the branch. Here they are by the painted Ben & Jerry's hooves.



Next I attached the hooves to the arms.




I secured them with black with black electrical tape.




Next I cut the fleece to cover the arms.




I coated it all with a lot of glue and rolled it up like a burrito. It stuck surprisingly well.



Next, I glued a few strips of the furry yarn down one side of the arm to give it the true barnyard look .



Here are the completed arms. I let them dry overnight.



Here's the completed costume. I held the arms with my hands and pulled the sleeves down over them. It was a big hit. Many people thought the arms were store-bought, which I took as a compliment.



1 comment:

Meg Daniel said...

That is ridiculously awesome! Nice work!

Visitor Location Details

Blog Archive

Blog Fans!

Tangeman Family Blog Labels