Saturday, December 04, 2010

Duped by Hershey's

Nearly two years ago, I posted a positive review of a Hershey's candy bar called "Thingamajig". I ended up buying another one of these things recently, and upon further inspection, I have discovered that Hershey's has fooled me again. In the earlier "jig" review, I told blog readers that they could trust the candy bar because it was made with real chocolate. That's only partially true.

The first six ingredients in the bar are: sugar, crisp rice, vegetable oil, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, nonfat milk, and finally, chocolate. Hershey's scam is that they put a miniscule amount of real chocolate in the bar so they can tout the word chocolate on the wrapper, but the stuff that everyone thinks is chocolate is actually brown sweet partially hydrogenated palm oil. I gotta give Hershey's props for clever deception of the consumer, but my faith in the company is eroded further. Buyer beware.

3 comments:

Terry Murray said...

How the mighty have fallen!

Terry Murray said...

Forgot to add: thanks for staying on the case, Bill!

Anonymous said...

hmm. i haven't even seen those bars...you must be in a test market.

Visitor Location Details

Blog Archive

Blog Fans!

Tangeman Family Blog Labels